[College Hill Topeka] Fwd: Media Release: 2022 County Health Rankings Released

Katrina Shaw katkake1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 13:40:26 CDT 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rachelle Vega-Retana <rvretana at topeka.org>
Date: Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 9:14 AM
Subject: Media Release: 2022 County Health Rankings Released

*Topeka, Kan.* – The 2022 County Health Rankings have been released and
shows Shawnee County
<https://www.countyhealthrankings.org/app/kansas/2022/rankings/shawnee/county/outcomes/overall/snapshot>
in the lower middle range of counties in Kansas (Lower 25%-50%) for Health
Outcomes with an Individual Rank of 54 and in Health Factors with an
Individual Rank of 56. This year’s ranking collected data for 104 of the
counties in Kansas.

The County Health Rankings, released by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
(RWJF) and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, look at
a variety of elements that impact the overall health of a community. Areas
ranked include length of life, quality of life, health behaviors, clinical
care, social and economic factors and physical environment. Shawnee County
incorporates County Health Rankings into the local Community Health Needs
Assessment processes as well as in the development and analysis of the
Community Health Improvement Plan which is currently ongoing. Additionally,
communities have the ability to use the Rankings to identify and garner
support for local health improvement initiatives among government agencies,
healthcare providers, community organizations, business leaders, policy
makers, and the public.

“The County Health Rankings provide a wonderful snapshot of how we compare
to other counties in Kansas; highlighting that where we live, work, learn
and play has an impact on our health,” said Teresa Fisher, Director of
Shawnee County Health Department. “There continues to be a lot of momentum
around improving the overall quality of life here in Topeka and Shawnee
County, especially as we enter into the endemic phase of COVID-19. The
Health Department will continue this work by looking for opportunities to
effectively collaborate with new and existing partners in furthering the
improvement of the health in our community.”

The County Health Rankings identified some of the following areas of
strength in Shawnee County:

·         Access to exercise opportunities

·         Overall clinical care

o   Ratio of population to Primary Care Physicians

o   Ratio of population to Mental Health Providers

o   Mammography screening

o   Flu vaccinations

·         High school completion

The County Health Rankings identified the following areas to explore in
Shawnee County:

·         Adult smoking

·         Adult obesity

·         Sexually transmitted infections

·         Violent crime

On Monday May 9, 2022 from 11:30-1:00pm at the Topeka and Shawnee County
Public Library the Shawnee County Health Department in partnership with
Heartland Healthy Neighborhoods will be hosting the annual County Health
Rankings: A Community Conversation
<https://www.facebook.com/events/404087374485597?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A%5b%7B%22mechanism%22%3A%22your_upcoming_events_unit%22%2C%22surface%22%3A%22bookmark%22%7D%5d%2C%22ref_notif_type%22%3Anull%7D>
an annual breakdown of the Rankings with a look to the future to create
awareness around improving the health of all residents in Shawnee County.
Registration can be completed online
<http://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6815154/Event-Registration>.

For more information about the County Health Rankings visit
www.countyhealthrankings.org.

*Shawnee County Health Department is committed to working in partnership
with our community to promote and protect the optimal health of all people
by bridging gaps to eliminate health inequities, respecting the diversity
of our community, through adaptive and innovative processes.*

*Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube*
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/2600+SW+East+Circle+Drive+%0D%0A+Topeka,+KS+66606?entry=gmail&source=g>

[image: Logo_Color_Transparent(3x2.5)]*Craig Barnes*

Division Manager

Community Health Outreach and
Planning

Shawnee County Health Department

2600 SW East Circle Drive
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/2600+SW+East+Circle+Drive+%0D%0A+Topeka,+KS+66606?entry=gmail&source=g>

Topeka, KS 66606
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/2600+SW+East+Circle+Drive+%0D%0A+Topeka,+KS+66606?entry=gmail&source=g>

http://www.shawneehealth.org/

785.251.5612 office

785.806.6310 cell

785.251.5696 fax

Rachelle Vega-Retana, Grants Administrator

City of Topeka, Dept. of Planning & Development

Division of Housing Services

620 SE Madison St
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/620+SE+Madison+St?entry=gmail&source=g>.
1st Floor – Unit 8

Topeka, Ks. 66607

Phone: (785) 368-4490

Fax:      (785) 368-2546

Email:    rvretana at topeka.org

The preceding email message (including any attachments) contains
information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney/client or
other applicable privileges or that may constitute non-public information.
This message is intended to be conveyed only to the designated
recipient(s). If you are not listed as a recipient of this message, please
notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and then delete
it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of
this message by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be
unlawful."