[College Hill Topeka] Fwd: Christmas Bureau

Katrina Shaw katkake1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 15:31:18 CST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rachelle Vega-Retana <rvretana at topeka.org>
Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 2:05 PM
Subject: Christmas Bureau

[image:
https://i0.wp.com/unitedwaytopeka.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/CBLogoRedFestTextBrighterStar.jpg?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1]*I/we
want to adopt a Christmas Bureau individual or family. How do I start?*

*Fill out the adopter application at *
https://unitedwaytopeka.org/work/cb/adopt/*. The first two weeks of
November we will be finishing up the data entry for those who have
requested help. We will process requests as quickly as we can, but please
be patient. If you haven’t received your details by email within a week,
please reach out to us. Watch our Facebook page for updates on where we are
in the process. Our goal is to have all matches made before Thanksgiving.*

*What do adopters do?*

*The traditional Christmas Bureau “adoption” is when we match adopters like
you with a family profile, including some wish list items, then you shop,
wrap and deliver before Christmas. With so many families qualifying for
help, sharing the load with adopters is the only way we can serve everyone.*

*We also understand that delivery doesn’t work for everyone, so we can meet
you in the middle. You can shop for a family and bring the items to us, and
we will find a volunteer to deliver them, but a lot of long-time adopters
know delivery is often the best part! You are also always welcome to make
cash donations (just click the link above) that help us take care of anyone
who doesn’t get matched with an adopter. *

*We want to deliver the gifts and food. When should we plan to do that?*

*If you are delivering things yourself, sometime the week before Christmas
is usually best. You’ll be able to contact the family directly to make
arrangements to deliver at a time that works well for both of you. For some
families, this is the only way they can afford Christmas, and knowing that
it is taken care of in early December lets them feel secure that their
kiddos will have something to celebrate. If you adopt singles, they might
want a delivery a little closer to Christmas itself; it depends on the
adoptee.*

*We want to adopt, but we are a small group. What are our options?*

*Working together to adopt families is a great team-building or family
activity. If your resources are limited, just adopt a single person. If you
are a business with customers or patients, let them help you adopt a larger
family by contributing money or purchasing gifts. If you collect more in
donations than your family needs, consider adopting more people or
contributing the balance to help other families.*

*Questions or concerns? Please contact cb at unitedwaytopeka.org
<cb at unitedwaytopeka.org> or (785)
273-4804

   *

*Brett J. Martin*

Vice President of Community Impact

United Way of Greater Topeka <http://www.unitedwaytopeka.org/>

*Phone:  785.581.0231  |  Fax: 785.273.2467*

*1527 SW Fairlawn Road, Topeka, KS
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/1527+SW+Fairlawn+Road,+Topeka,+KS+66604?entry=gmail&source=g>
66604
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/1527+SW+Fairlawn+Road,+Topeka,+KS+66604?entry=gmail&source=g>*

Rachelle Vega-Retana

Grants Administrator

City of Topeka

Dept. of Neighborhood Relations

620 SE Madison St
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/620+SE+Madison+St?entry=gmail&source=g>.
1st Floor – Unit 8

Topeka, Ks. 66607

Phone: (785) 368-4490

Fax:       (785) 368-2546

Email:    rvretana at topeka.org

The preceding email message (including any attachments) contains
information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney/client or
other applicable privileges or that may constitute non-public information.
This message is intended to be conveyed only to the designated
recipient(s). If you are not listed as a recipient of this message, please
notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and then delete
it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of
this message by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be
unlawful."