[College Hill Topeka] City Council Vote for Pigs

Smith ml.smith at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 25 10:53:06 EDT 2017

You may or may not know that a Topekan has requested the Topeka City Council, through Brenden Jensen, to change the city ordinance to allow mini-pigs in the city limits.  Brenen's proposal before the council would allow pigs under a certain weight as well as hoofed livestock and chickens.  The following is my request to the entire Council.  If you share my concerns I would ask that you let your councilman know before the upcoming vote.

I have been following the request to have the city approve an ordinance to allow mini-pigs and hoofed animals within the Topeka City limits.

I would like to offer my request to deny such an ordinance.

I can tell you, from having a pig down the street and having chickens behind me, that they are noisy, nasty and smelly.  I am most certain that this will cause property values to decline.  A prospective buyer of a property will more likely than not, back off once it is know that there are chickens, pigs, goats or other farm animals living next door.