[College Hill Topeka] CHNA funds needed for Boswell Park improvements

Christi Stewart christiastewart at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 14 14:13:06 CDT 2022

Hi Neighbors. Plan to our attend the next CHNA meeting at 7 p.m., Monday, May 16 on ZOOM. We have lots to talk about.

We have a gazebo update to share. The old structure is still standing tall in the park. Not a surprise, but It looks like the new shelter is behind schedule and over budget - due to many factors. Zach Snethen talked with John Boyd from Parks and Rec about the project.

All the structures they have bid are coming in over budget due to the market conditions. Ours is $64,350 plus the customization for a railing and CH logo added to it. John asked if $20k from the neighborhood was doable. That would get us the enhanced octagon shaped gazebo with the railing.
The other quote is the standard shelter they put in at other parks. He said they budgeted 30k for those and they came in at 46k. Keep in mind we'd still have them add a railing on 2 sides and try to incorporate a CH logo into the railing.

So, think about this - would the neighborhood like to contribute $20,000 of CHNA funds to build the really nice structure - that we voted on at the gazebo meeting?? Or would the neighborhood like to contribute $16,000 towards another structure, that is not as fancy, but still nice. (These $$ amounts are estimates.)

This is a big decision and a lot of money for our group. Spending $20,000 on a park structure would nearly empty the CHNA savings account and there would not be money for projects in the near future. New projects would be accomplished through future fundraising.
Also, it's not likely the new gazebo will be in place by July 4.

Please come to the ZOOM meeting or email Christi Stewart with your thoughts=

Yes! spend the money!

Heck No! That's way too much money for a park shelter house

Whatever everyone else wants to do is fine with me

christiastewart at sbcglobal.net
brettjmartin at gmail.com

College Hill T-ShirtsThe College Hill T-Shirt Fundraiser is happening now! Last year we offered
a variety of t-shirt and hoodie options with the College Hill emblem in
white. This year we are offering t-shirts, hoodies, tie dyes, and tank tops
with the College Hill emblem in black.

Don’t hesitate to get your July 4thgear ordered. The *last day for sales
is May 22nd*! All orders will be delivered to you by volunteers for the
College Hill Neighborhood and proceeds will benefit the College Hill
Neighborhood.

Check out the store here:
https://topekaspirit.tuosystems.com/stores/collegehillna

Thanks to Go Blue for their support of the College Hill Neighborhood!

Join us for the bi-monthly neighborhood round table discussion Monday May
16th at 7pm.  The next round table is to be held July 18, 2022.

Listen to guest speakers, get neighborhood updates, and help plan upcoming
neighborhood events.  All neighbors are welcome.

Topic: College Hill NA
Time: May 16, 2022 07:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/7244578859?pwd=ZTZCbWJKRFhvVktab1lCU0wybHRFZz09

Meeting ID: 724 457 8859
Passcode: 1122