[College Hill Topeka] Recycling Update

Katrina Shaw katkake1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 18:27:49 CDT 2022

Carol Christensen
Mon, Mar 28, 11:13 AM (2 days ago)
to Christi, Brett, Tom, Frank, Sarah, Susan, James, Erin, me, John
     The College Hill neighborhood recycling drive on Saturday brought in
an amazing $292.00!

     Here are the amounts we collected and were paid:
              Aluminum cans--393 lbs. @ 55 cents/lb.
                                               $216.15
              Misc. metals ("Shred #3 Loose Metal")--440 lbs. @  10.25
cents/lb.                                45.10
              Brass--yellow--1 lb. @ $1.80/lb.
                                                            1.80
              Copper--10 lbs. @ $2.90/lb.
                                                            29.00
              ATM rounding
                                                                    --.05
              *TOTAL

 $292.00 !!!*
      This recycling drive was the most lucrative of any that College Hill
has ever had!   There are many reasons for the great increase in recycling
revenue.  Compared to our last (December 2021) drive, we had almost twice
as much aluminum and miscellaneous metals this drive and were paid more for
the aluminum and miscellaneous metals (55 cents and 10.25 cents/pound,
respectively, compared to 45 cents and 7.5 cents/pound earlier).  A good
deal of the aluminum brought in on Saturday had been picked up from
neighbors shortly after the December 2021 drive was over and had been
stored until the March drive.  It had been 4-1/2 months since our last
recycling drive; so neighbors had potentially more time to save
recyclables.  We had participation this time from many of our recycling
"regulars," as well as from some neighbors who hadn't recycled with us very
much or at all before.
       Since the neighborhood recycling drives began in September 1990,
our College Hill Association has received *$14.783.08* from recycling!  We
should have no problem passing the $15,000 mark in 2022!  What a wonderful
milestone that will be!
      We thank and appreciate VERY MUCH all the people who contributed
their recyclables  (But we still would love to get more neighbors to
contribute theirs.)  We were pleased that most neighborhood recyclers are
sorting their materials the way we've been asked to do.
      Many thanks also to the dear neighbor friends who helped to pick up
and deliver recyclables:  Clark and Susan Duffy; Frank and Sarah Meadows;
James, Hank, and Harley Stamper; and John and Carol Christensen.
     *Our next **recycling** drive will be Saturday, July 9*.  Save those
cans!  And be sure to separate cat food and tuna cans, aluminum pie plates,
aluminum foil and steel cans from aluminum beverage cans. We can also
collect miscellaneous metals, such as copper and bronze, metal piping, and
wiring. If you want to get rid of aluminum cans or other recyclables before
our next drive please contact Carol and John Christensen (785-554-8068) so
items can be stored the next drive.  Thank you!