[College Hill Topeka] Fwd: Media Release: Updated COVID-19 Recommendations from Local Health Officer

Katrina Shaw katkake1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 18:43:02 CDT 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rachelle Vega-Retana <rvretana at topeka.org>
Date: Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 4:16 PM
Subject: Media Release: Updated COVID-19 Recommendations from Local Health
Officer

*Topeka, Kan.* – Shawnee County Health Officer, Dr. Erin Locke, has issued
new recommendations to continue mitigating the impact of COVID-19 on the
Shawnee County community.

These updated recommendations continue to be in accordance with
recommendations from both the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(CDC) and the State of Kansas.

Recommendations continue to focus on the primary mitigation measures that
have been shown to have the greatest impact on reducing the spread of
COVID-19.

Vaccination rates have begun to slow down in Shawnee County. As of June 30,
2021 approximately 75,000 (43% of total population) Shawnee County
residents have completed their vaccine series.

Shawnee County continues to vaccinate at a rate slightly higher than the
state of Kansas, however, the county is falling further behind the United
States as a whole.

“With not yet half of Shawnee County residents fully vaccinated, the Delta
variant has the potential to spread quickly through our community. I am
particularly concerned for our children and our elderly, as it can cause
severe disease and may not respond as well to treatment,” said Dr. Erin
Locke. “I very strongly advise our unvaccinated residents to wear their
masks and, if eligible, get vaccinated as soon as possible.”

According to the CDC, the Delta variant is 60% more transmissible than the
Alpha variant, which was previously the dominant strain. The new variant
appears to be spreading most quickly in communities that have the lowest
vaccination rates. High vaccination rates not only prevent the spread of
COVID-19, they also prevent new variants from developing.

Everyone is interested in continuing to experience the benefits of reduced
community spread: seeing loved ones, enjoying summer, and safely getting
kids back to school this fall.

The vaccines continue to be extremely effective and safe, and the best way
to keep us on the right track is for every eligible adult and child to get
vaccinated.

The SCHD continues to encourage residents to take advantage of
opportunities to receive a COVID-19 vaccine when they are able from an
approved vaccine provider.

Visit the SCHD Vaccine webpage (
http://www.snco.us/hd/COVID19_Vaccination.asp
<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.snco.us%2fhd%2fCOVID19_Vaccination.asp&c=E,1,8ugyygblZaKH8ZLFvFTja83SYQoX-yMlaWX3068ixFOnyO2LYuNhpnIt3bL5oBY0AqMwPo6C6jMBfTy0pTjuKlun3d1y1h4mU5pRQukd4SM4TLNZbfmjxUelswwE&typo=1>)
or CDC’s Vaccine Finder tool (https://vaccinefinder.org/
<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fvaccinefinder.org%2f&c=E,1,PjXCT3nUBNfNV2DYDzwJZf9lhQO6CvdQsd4jF-Z28_0XZ1R_ruj2zDEXNhU7bZGgc_37SJAudJ6Abh_EIQnd_Ryz19qkm3RxbuETS_e0Hz-bpfjHaolmJusRNsx5&typo=1>)
to locate the closest vaccinating provider to you.

Additionally, it continues to be important to get tested for COVID-19
should an individual begin exhibiting symptoms related to COVID-19 or come
in contact with a confirmed positive case.

Testing continues to be available and free to Shawnee County residents. To
find a location near you, visit: www.gogettested.com/kansas
<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gogettested.com%2fkansas&c=E,1,duwvuy3388XJz3HnTKW3O_FI81Q6VTUkb4APqu9vkABc7k5pJy7Y8SGh-ipCu4upM77pS42UoH1OuqPyNvfaqeuWK_-P91-NScBHclZu-TYOtMWTPtwWSM61ngyr&typo=1>
.

Questions regarding the Health Officer Recommendations can be sent to
HAAdmin at snco.us or by calling *785.251.4949. *Questions regarding COVID-19
vaccine can be sent to CovidVaccine at snco.us.

COVID-19 Recommendations from the Local Health Officer (7/02/2021)

*Shawnee County Health Department is committed to working in partnership
with our community to promote and protect the optimal health of all people
by bridging gaps to eliminate health inequities, respecting the diversity
of our community, through adaptive and innovative processes.*

*Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube*

[image: Logo_Color_Transparent(3x2.5)]*Craig Barnes*
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/2600+SW+East+Circle+Drive+%0D%0A+Topeka,+KS+66606?entry=gmail&source=g>

Division Manager

Community Health Outreach and
Planning

Shawnee County Health Department

2600 SW East Circle Drive
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/2600+SW+East+Circle+Drive+%0D%0A+Topeka,+KS+66606?entry=gmail&source=g>

Topeka, KS 66606
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/2600+SW+East+Circle+Drive+%0D%0A+Topeka,+KS+66606?entry=gmail&source=g>

http://www.shawneehealth.org/
<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.shawneehealth.org%2f&c=E,1,-LevBpanjYitDU5sK-V8-FzUqA7bAKXgMoIJkF9eynPOspF_CuKhRw-JsRYmGZUuHHNVDlFJNT4hUMHq6Yv6cMsm_Ps1hBeR4RhL3gv8Nw,,&typo=1>

785.251.5612 office

785.806.6310 cell

785.251.5696 fax

Rachelle Vega-Retana, Grants Administrator

City of Topeka, Dept. of Planning & Development

Division of Housing Services

620 SE Madison St
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/620+SE+Madison+St?entry=gmail&source=g>.
1st Floor – Unit 8

Topeka, Ks. 66607

Phone: (785) 368-4490

Fax:      (785) 368-2546

Email:    rvretana at topeka.org

The preceding email message (including any attachments) contains
information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney/client or
other applicable privileges or that may constitute non-public information.
This message is intended to be conveyed only to the designated
recipient(s). If you are not listed as a recipient of this message, please
notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and then delete
it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of
this message by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be
unlawful."