[College Hill Topeka] Fwd: Topeka Metro board waives fares through November 30, 2020

Katrina Shaw katkake1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 15:50:45 CDT 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Rachelle Vega-Retana <rvretana at topeka.org>
Date: Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 7:49 AM
Subject: Topeka Metro board waives fares through November 30, 2020

*TOPEKA, KANSAS (October 20, 2020)* -- At the Topeka Metro October 19th
board meeting, board members voted unanimously to waive fares through
November 30 for both fixed route and paratransit buses. The fixed route
buses will continue to use rear boarding for passengers unless they have
mobility issues or require the ramp or kneeler.

Topeka Metro management has been working on safe solutions for both the bus
operators and the passengers to be able to re-establish fares. At this
time, safety chains near the bus operator at the front of the bus will
remain secured. Masks for passengers are required when boarding the bus and
while inside Quincy Street Station and in the parking lot. Bus operators
on fixed route buses are not required to wear a face covering while they
are in the operator compartment with the safety barrier closed and latched.
Face coverings are required at all other times for operators.

"We have waived bus fares since late March because of the COVID-19
pandemic," said Topeka Metro General Manager Bob Nugent. "Suspending
fares has been widely put into place among public transits, however, with
stay-at-home orders lifting nationwide, many transits are returning to
charging fares. Our team is working to improve our current procedures and
looking to better safety equipment and measures so we can resume normal
operations again."

*Contact:* Keri Renner
Director of Marketing & Communications

Topeka Metro
201 N. Kansas Avenue
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/201+N.+Kansas+Avenue+%0D%0ATopeka,+Kansas+66603?entry=gmail&source=g>
Topeka, Kansas 66603
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/201+N.+Kansas+Avenue+%0D%0ATopeka,+Kansas+66603?entry=gmail&source=g>
(785) 730-8616
*krenner at topekametro.org* <krenner at topekametro.org>

Rachelle Vega-Retana, Grants Administrator

City of Topeka, Dept. of Planning & Development

Division of Housing Services

620 SE Madison St
<https://www.google.com/maps/search/620+SE+Madison+St?entry=gmail&source=g>.
1st Floor – Unit 8

Topeka, Ks. 66607

Phone: (785) 368-4490

Fax:      (785) 368-2546

Email:    rvretana at topeka.org

The preceding email message (including any attachments) contains
information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney/client or
other applicable privileges or that may constitute non-public information.
This message is intended to be conveyed only to the designated
recipient(s). If you are not listed as a recipient of this message, please
notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and then delete
it from your system.  Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of
this message by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be
unlawful."