[College Hill Topeka] Fwd: Abandoned Housing legislation

Katrina Shaw katkake1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 16:24:30 EST 2017

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sasha Haehn <sstiles at topeka.org>
Date: Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 2:19 PM
Subject: RE: Abandoned Housing legislation

Good afternoon,

I wanted to share the answer to a really good question I got from two of
our neighborhood leaders.  The question was asked regarding the 90 days
vacant language that is included in the definition of ‘abandoned’, which
also included language about 15 months vacant – why the conflict in the
definition, and which is it – 90 days vacant or 15 months vacant?

I’ve spoken to our lobbyist about this conflict and he explains that this
language came from the original law, KSA 12-1750, which I have attached for
you.  As versions of this bill have evolved over the years, it seems that
the original 90 day language was never removed, even after the 15 month
language was added.  The City of Topeka’s stance has been (since my
involvement) that we are interested in this tool for truly abandoned
properties that have been sitting vacant for years with no one maintaining
them, not property that has been vacant for only 90 days.

Mr. Damron will be presenting testimony on behalf of the City tomorrow
morning at 9:30a, and he will be suggesting to the Committee that the 90
day language be removed due to the conflict & confusion that it creates,
leaving the definition of abandoned as vacant for at least 15 months.

Best regards,

Sasha Haehn

Director of Neighborhood Relations

City of Topeka, KS